Pentair pool products are known for reliability, the average motor can last 5 – 10 years when properly maintained. Here are some tips from Pentair to extend the life of your motor:
- The shaft seal needs to be checked or replaced every 6 months. If there is leaking under the pump, you know the seal needs to replaced.
- The chemical balance of the pool needs to stay in the ideal range. If the water is too acidic it erodes, too alkaline the water leaves calcium deposits. Check the pool after it rains.
- Excess salt is also hard on shaft seals, 3,000 – 3,500 ppm is ideal. Excess salt is abrasive and will wear the shaft seal, like a motor without oil.
- Listen, is the pump making noise? A high pitch squeal or the sound of marbles indicates trouble.
- Never, ever put acid in the skimmer baskets. The acid goes right into the pump, filter and heater. Acid needs to go into the deep end of the pool or it will erode the equipment. When diluting acid, put the water in the bucket first, then the acid. Much safer that way.
- Does your pool have enough water? Without proper water levels to cool the motor, the motor will overheat and burn out.